Senior Vice President of Data & Evaluation
Opportunity Communities (OppCo) is a non-profit that is committed to building communities of opportunity. Our agency is a membership organization; our members are also non-profits that build affordable homes, and that manage programs that benefit families and neighborhoods. We share a common commitment to centering our work in racial equity, diversity and inclusion (REDI). Currently OppCo has three members: The Neighborhood Developers (headquartered in Chelsea); the North Shore Community Development Coalition (headquartered in Salem); and Nuestra Comunidad Development Corporation (headquartered in Roxbury).
At OppCo we value our employees and offer a flexible schedule that affords true work/life balance, as well as excellent health, wellness and 401K benefits. Our office model is based on open and collaborative working relationships between departments, clients and vendors, and we encourage every team member to utilize our internal and external training tools as a means of advancing knowledge in their field and growth within the organization.
The Senior Vice President of Data & Evaluation will use evaluation, analytic, and data management skills to assist a dynamic OppCo and its partners to strengthen programming and impact, including Racial Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (REDI) goals. OppCo leads our field in the use of our cloud-based Salesforce.com database for program operations, reporting, and evaluation throughout our organizations. Front-line staff and program managers routinely work with the Senior Vice President of Data & Evaluation to adapt database functionality and reporting features in support of efficient and measurable program delivery. The Senior Vice President of Data & Evaluation and program managers initiate data analysis and conversations to inform ongoing program strategy and responsive program development. The Senior Vice President of Data and Evaluation closes the learning loop within the organization and draws from peer best practices, national research, and their own data collection efforts to help program managers refine programs. In this capacity, the candidate will engage in research and analysis of identified projects and activities that allow OppCo to better define, measure, and communicate its impact. The Senior Vice President of Data and Evaluation must demonstrate sufficient knowledge of the Salesforce platform to perform back-end management, field customization, light Apex programming, app identification and integration, data collection, aggregation, analysis and reporting. The ideal candidate is an individual who is passionate about learning from data to achieve real social impact.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
Systems Development and Improvements
- Participate in and/or lead, the development of SalesForce tools that will lead to greater efficiency and effectiveness across OppCo partners, including projects to integrate SalesForce with other data systems. (i.e., integration of Sage financial system with Salesforce fundraising information; development of integrated property deal book that meets the data needs of finance, asset management, and resident services)
- Design, develop, and deploy integration solutions within the organization’s architectural principles, policies, and guidelines.
- Provide guidance during the planning, execution, and management of integrating new applications into Salesforce.
- Identify and resolve system integration issues.
- Develop standards, processes, and documents to support and facilitate integration projects and initiatives.
- Oversee research and recommend most effective products and services.
Analysis and Evaluation
- Develop interim or indicator/proxy measures and outcome measures in partnership with program managers and Executive Director.
- Ensure measures are implemented and modified as needed.
- Collect and analyze relevant data for the organization’s strategic planning and program operations.
- Analyze agency and publicly available data and make recommendations to refine programs and systems in response to analysis of impact and environmental conditions.
- Support research and evaluation projects undertaken by external evaluation partners.
- Serve as analytical support to Executive Director and program managers in meetings with funders and other external parties.
- Manage engagements with external consultants to ensure high quality and timely completion of projects.
Foster Learning Culture
- Along with program managers, on an annual basis, develop a specific evaluation plan that is designed to better understand program impact for clients and/or the community.
- With REDI leaders on an annual basis, develop metrics and a specific evaluation plan that is designed to better understand progress towards REDI goals.
- In collaboration with the OppCo CEO and Member EDs, develop learning systems including, cross reflection with analogous partner departments, training for enhancing analytical skills, tips for reflecting and questioning data, working with data in supervision and team meetings, etc.; provide special focus on REDI.
- In collaboration with OppCo partner Executive Directors, develop data collection systems (in addition to Salesforce) that foster learning at the local level such as participatory community analysis.
- Empower and educate staff to manage, understand, and act on data in their programs and projects.
- Conduct other activities that support a results-driven culture that promotes learning.
Data Management and Reporting
- Oversee the Data Analyst and Administrator and OppCo’s Salesforce database administration. Work with Data Analyst and Administrator to maintain ongoing knowledge of new Salesforce capabilities and apps, and implement updates as needed.
- Monitor Salesforce architect to ensure the system is capable of serving multiple partners with both common and specific data needs.
- Proactively identify where our Salesforce platform can improve, with a particular emphasis on helping staff to efficiently log, track and measure their activities and outcomes.
- Oversee the creation and use of data integrity checks and data entry problems and training needs.
- Manage quarterly internal agency reporting using database reports and dashboards that summarize activity data for staff and the Board of Directors.
- Oversee the creation and adaptation of reports and dashboards as needed to meet program and agency needs.
- Oversee the develop of other internal reporting mechanisms as needed to help program commitments and goals to remain on track.
- Prepare reports and other materials for Board, staff, funders and partner organizations with a stake in OppCo activities, performance, and impact.
- Support OppCo’s interagency programming by working with our partners to collect and analyze integrated and population-level data.
- Oversee organizational processes for data integration and data sharing protocols.
- Maintain updated documentation on OppCo’s data collection efforts and processes.
Growth and Development
- Assess prospective OppCo members’ data systems and practices as part of a due diligence process.
- Plan and implement on-boarding and integration of new members onto the OppCo SalesForce platform.
- Attend monthly team and organization meetings.
- Attend necessary trainings to assure up to date knowledge.
- Travel to and from OppCo partner organization to provide in person support to partners
Work Requirements and Qualifications
- Minimum 5+ years of experience working with a relational database.
- Experience with systems building and leading integration projects across domains.
- Professional experience working in a non-profit environment.
- Master’s degree in applicable field preferred.
- Professional experience administering the backend of the Salesforce.com platform.
- Experience conducing community evaluations.
- Strong interest in the development and success of new and innovative programs.
- Strong communicator who is able to translate technical concepts and analytical data to non- technical service providers.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Well-organized and able to work independently.
- High standards for data security and data accuracy.
This is a sedentary job by nature. Requires being able to sit at a desk and use a computer and phone for most of the day.
To Apply: Please submit both a resume and cover letter
Opportunity Communities (OppCo) and its members, North Shore CDC, Nuestra Comunidad and The Neighborhood Developers are equal opportunity organizations. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.