Community Building Fellow
North Shore Community Development Coalition (NSCDC) is a regional, nonprofit organization committed to investing in neighborhoods to create thriving communities. We envision a North Shore where every neighborhood is one of choice and opportunity. Our neighborhood revitalization model focuses on projects that have lasting benefits for entire neighborhoods with need-based programs that build future city leaders and self-sufficient residents. Our diverse staff are passionate and committed to helping our communities thrive and grow.
North Shore Community Development Coalition (NSCDC) is looking for a Community Building Fellow to support NSCDC community building activities that foster neighborhood revitalization and encourage community engagement in the Point neighborhood in Salem. The Community Building coordinator will help develop and implement strategies to build relationships with community members, connect residents to useful resources, and enhance civic engagement. In addition, the selected applicant will work together with our Economic development coordinator to outline our annual works free income tax prep program. Working one-on-one with individuals and families to prepare tax returns using tax software. The coordinator serves as a legitimate and trusted no-cost resource, ensuring customers file correctly, and receiving support and resources around managing returns and/or owed taxes. This is a 8 month fellowship position that will be stipend based. The fellow will receive a stipend of $2500 per month.
● Conduct outreach within the community to identify potential partners, leaders, and to inform residents about relevant programs and resources
● Foster stronger relationships between the North Shore CDC and Point neighborhood residents
● Support the development of the Resident Ambassador program
● Team-oriented, able to work cooperatively with staff and other volunteers
● Ability to abide by all confidentiality policies and procedures
● Attend all tax-law training sessions and successfully attain IRS-tax law certification
● Coordinate & schedule appointments
● Other duties as assigned
● A strong commitment to helping underserved communities thrive economically
● Bi-lingual English and Spanish strongly preferred
● Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to collaborate with others
● Desire to learn how to complete IRS and MN Income Tax forms (no experience required)
● Ability to work independently and in a team environment
● Computer proficiency
● Good written and oral communication skills in both English and Spanish
● Ability to work a flexible schedule (some night and weekends may be required)
To Apply: Submit a resume and cover letter
Opportunity Communities (OppCo) provides all administrative and operational infrastructure for OppCo and its Network Members. OppCo and members Nuestra Comunidad, North Shore CDC and The Neighborhood Developers, are equal opportunity organizations. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.