Real Estate Project Manager
The Neighborhood Developers, Inc. (TND) (http://theneighborhooddevelopers.org/) creates vibrant neighborhoods where people from all walks of life can thrive. Focused on three cities that abut Boston to the north (Chelsea, Revere, and Everett), TND delivers the following integrated programs to build equity and opportunity for both people and place: 1) Real estate development to expand affordable housing inventory; 2) Resident Services so that tenants in TND’s properties remain stably housed and use the platform of an affordable home to accrue social, health, educational, and economic benefits; 3) Community building to elevate the voices of residents who have traditionally held less power, enabling them to shape the future of our communities and their own lives; and 4) Financial capabilities to increase the prosperity of community members. TND believes in both people- and place-based solutions to create thriving neighborhoods. Without an engaged citizenry, entrenched social and economic issues that impact community members in our target neighborhoods will remain.
The Real Estate Project Manager is responsible for all aspects of assigned real estate development projects. They will report to the Director of Real Estate sharing OppCo’s and TND’s high standards for community investment, and demonstrates an interest in testing new models and approaches with an emphasis on results. This hire will manage multiple priorities and assignments in a fast-paced environment. They should also have strong analytic and organizational skills, initiative, and persistence, and work well independently and as part of team.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
With direction and support from the Director of Real Estate:
- Identify and research potential sites for acquisition; assist with securing site control.
- Conduct project feasibility analysis and due diligence, and develop recommendations on business decisions for senior staff of agency and OppCo.
- Assemble and manage development team, including design, construction and development consultants; negotiate contracts and coordinate development team throughout the development process.
- Coordinate permitting with municipal officials, legal counsel and architects; manage community process with real estate and Community Engagement staff.
- Identify funding and investment opportunities, and prepare financing applications and other materials required to secure commitments.
- Coordinate closings and property acquisitions with funders/lenders and legal counsel.
- Select and implement appropriate construction management approach on project-specific basis; manage and oversee the approach selected.
- Monitor project progress including schedule and budget variances.
- Prepare requisitions and reports required by funders, investors, and internal management.
- Coordinate project marketing/occupancy in conjunction with property management staff.
- Participate in cross-team work to implement the organization’s mission.
- Additional project management activities as required.
- Assist in planning and developing processes, policies, and procedures that will improve real estate department’s overall performance.
- Assist in planning the department’s annual and five-year strategic plans and other related organizational documents.
- Attend networking events on behalf of OppCo and TND, and represent OppCo and TND at community and industry meetings.
- Perform other tasks related to cross-team projects within TND.
- 3+ years of experience in real estate project management, finance, or construction management preferred.
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field preferred.
- A combination of relevant professional experience and education may be considered.
- Excellent written and verbal communications.
- Strong analytic skills.
- Quantitative skills, and interest in working with numbers and budgets; experience with federal Low Income Housing Tax Credits and other financing sources of affordable housing is strongly preferred.
- Computing skills, including experience with MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint; experience with GIS and Adobe Design desirable.
- Ability to organize work, work independently, problem-solve, and be persistent is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to manage productive relationships with development team members, public officials, funders and lenders, other staff, and the community.
- Bilingual (English-Spanish preferred.) Proven experience building trusting relationships across race, ethnicity, class, and generation Prior personal or professional experience in agency’s geographic area is a valuable asset.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including occasional nights.
- Ability to navigate an active construction site safely.
- The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To Apply: Submit a resume and cover letter
Opportunity Communities (OppCo) provides all administrative and operational infrastructure for OppCo and its Network Members. OppCo and members Nuestra Comunidad, North Shore CDC and The Neighborhood Developers, are equal opportunity organizations. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.