Chelsea Community Building Manager
The Neighborhood Developers (TND) is hiring a full time Chelsea Community Building Manager (CB Manger) to lead its community building efforts in Chelsea and support the work of TND’s Revere CB Manager in the City of Revere. TND’s Community Building Program builds social capital by creating opportunities for person-to-person and people-to-place relationships, developing the skill and will of resident leaders to take on leadership roles at TND and in their community, encouraging civic engagement and activism to promote approaches and policies that stop displacement and preserve economic, social, ethnic, and racial diversity.
The Chelsea CB Manager will be a flexible self-starter, working with a network of engaged and empowered residents. S/he will be a “people person,” excited to bring people together, make connections between residents, support local priorities, and identify and develop leaders who carry out the work of improving neighborhoods without displacement. The Chelsea CB Manager will facilitate and support the Community Enhancement Team (CET), a resident group working to improve the quality of life in Chelsea. Additionally, the Chelsea CB Manager will manage neighborhood improvement and placekeeping projects identified through TND’s work with residents and stakeholders. This position has a flexible work schedule and requires some evening and weekend work with an opportunity for regional and sometimes national travel. The Chelsea Community Building Manager position is hybrid, working part-time remotely and part-time at TND’s Main Office at 4 Gerrish Avenue, Chelsea and occasionally will work from TND’s satellite office at 17 Walden Street, Revere.
Duties and Responsibilities
Manage the Community Building Program, including:
- Supervise volunteers, fellows and service members as needed;
- Create and implement the Chelsea CB Manager work plan with assistance from Director of CB;
- Support resident groups by organizing and facilitating resident group meetings, and by providing ongoing support to resident-led groups events and activities.
- Recruit residents to help plan and implement the annual Bosson Park Block Party
- Ensure community involvement in neighborhood improvement and planning;
- Help plan and implement TND’s 2023 Board Leadership Boot Camp and alumni events
- Strengthen relationships with the community through 1:1 meetings, and build a culture of civic engagement and resident leadership in Chelsea through campaigns, trainings, events, and public conversation.
- Identify emerging needs, issues and trends among low-and moderate-income Chelsea and Revere residents that will impact housing, economic self-sufficiency, or community vitality.
- Identify resident leaders and refer participants to partner campaigns that address factors contributing to concerns.
- Maintain accurate records, produce timely written and verbal reports.
- Provide general assistance, as needed, for TND events, and undertake other activities and duties as requested.
- Work with Resident Services staff to engage TND tenants in CB programming, and collaborate with the Revere CB Manager to execute CB Program goals in both Chelsea and Revere.
- A commitment to the mission of TND
- 3-5 years community organizing, outreach, or equivalent experience
- Ideally, prior experience and/or familiarity with one or more of the following: (1) affordable housing development, (2) placekeeping, (3) community planning , (4) project management, (5) equitable neighborhood planning , and (6) public space design and construction
- College graduate or equivalent experience
- Proven experience building trusting relationships across race, ethnicity, class, and generation
- Understanding of and/or experience working with government systems
- Bilingual English-Spanish, English-Khmer, and/or English-Arabic
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team, committed to the larger whole
- Responsible, self-motivated, and able to carry out and prioritize multiple ongoing projects
- Genuine enthusiasm for meeting, motivating, and involving people in community activities and developing collaborative community and municipal partnerships.
- Excellent oral and written communication and facilitation skills, warm and engaging presence
- Skillful organizer with demonstrated initiative for problem-solving
- Strong work ethic, a good sense of humor, and a commitment to social justice
- Computer skills and MS Office proficiency required
We offer competitive compensation and good benefits.
Send a cover letter and a copy of your resume.
Opportunity Communities (OppCo) provides human resources for TND. OppCo and its members, Nuestra Comunidad, TND and North Shore CDC are equal opportunity organizations. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.