Senior Real Estate Project Manager
Job Title: Senior Real Estate Development Project Manager
Nuestra CDC is one of OppCo’s founding members and partners. OppCo partners provide stable homes within great neighborhoods, which serve as a foundation for thriving families and individuals. Our homes and neighborhoods promote healthy families as well as work, economic, and educational success. Opportunity Communities, LLC (OppCo) was created as a fresh and innovative business model that solves a fundamental structural challenge: retaining local control of resources and assets, that are continually reinvested back into the community, while benefiting from the efficiency and effectiveness of a larger scale entity.
Nuestra Comunidad Development Corporation (Nuestra CDC) is a community development corporation based in Roxbury and aligns its efforts with its mission: “Nuestra Comunidad is devoted to building the wealth and enhancing the physical, economic and social well-being of Roxbury and other underserved populations in greater Boston through a community-driven process that promotes self-sufficiency and neighborhood revitalization.” Nuestra CDC has a real estate portfolio of about 1000 rental homes and about 58,000 sq. ft. of commercial space in Roxbury and surrounding neighborhoods. Nuestra CDC also has a development pipeline of about 590 homeownership and rental homes, including new construction and renovation, in a range of projects that mix uses, incomes and styles to meet community needs.
Position Summary Description
This job announcement is for a Senior Real Estate Development Project Manager for Nuestra Comunidad Development Corporation (Nuestra CDC), with opportunity for rapid advancement for strong candidates.
The Senior Real Estate Development Project Manager is responsible for all aspects of assigned real estate development projects. The Senior Real Estate Development Project Manager will report to the Director of Real Estate Development. The Senior Real Estate Development Project Manager shares OppCo’s and Nuestra CDC’s high standards for community investment and demonstrates an interest in testing new models and approaches with an emphasis on results. The Senior Real Estate Development Project Manager manages multiple priorities and assignments in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment. Has strong analytic and organizational skills, initiative, and persistence, works well independently and as part of team. The Senior Real Estate Development Project Manager is expected to have previously managed a range of developments and demonstrated talent as an independent worker, team leader, solver of complex problems, and contributor to the department’s pipeline and administration.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- With direction and support from the Director of Real Estate Development:
- Identify and research potential sites for acquisition; assist with securing site control.
- Conduct project feasibility analysis and due diligence, and develop recommendations on business decisions for senior staff of Nuestra CDC and OppCo.
- Assemble and manage development team, including design, construction and development consultants; negotiate contracts and coordinate development team throughout the development process.
- Coordinate permitting with municipal officials, legal counsel and architects; manage community process with real estate and Community Engagement staff.
- Identify funding and investment opportunities, prepare financing applications and other materials required to secure funding commitments.
- Coordinate closings and property acquisitions with funders/lenders and legal counsel.
- Select and implement appropriate construction management approach on project-specific basis; manage and oversee the approach selected.
- Monitor project progress including schedule and budget variances.
- Prepare requisitions and reports required by funders, investors, and internal management.
- Coordinate project marketing/occupancy in conjunction with property management staff.
- Participate in cross-team work to implement the organization’s mission.
- Additional project management activities as required.
- Take on more complex projects that are financially challenging and require extensive zoning approvals and intensive community engagement
- Become a mentor for newly hired project managers and assume a team leadership role to assist the Director of Real Estate Development. Non-Essential Functions
- Assist in planning and developing processes, policies, and procedures that will improve real estate department’s overall performance.
- Assist in planning the department’s annual and five-year strategic plans and other related organizational documents.
- Attend networking events on behalf of OppCo and Nuestra CDC and represent OppCo and Nuestra CDC at community and industry meetings.
- Perform other tasks related to cross-team projects within Nuestra CDC.
Work Requirements and Qualifications
- 5+ years of experience in real estate project management, finance or construction management preferred.
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field preferred.
- A combination of relevant professional experience and education may be considered.
- Excellent written and verbal communications.
- Strong analytic skills.
- Quantitative skills, and interest in working with numbers and budgets; experience with state and federal Low Income Housing Tax Credits and other financing sources of affordable housing is strongly preferred; experience with City and State One Stop application is strongly preferred
- Computing skills, including experience and proficiency in MS Excel, Word and Powerpoint; experience with GIS and Adobe Design desirable.
- Ability to organize work, work independently, problem-solve, and be persistent is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to manage productive relationships with development team members, public officials, funders and lenders, other staff, and the community.
- Bilingual (English-Spanish preferred; Proven experience building trusting relationships across race, ethnicity, class and generation. Prior personal or professional experience in agency’s geographic area is a valuable asset.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including occasional nights.
Ability to navigate an active construction site safely. The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Benefits of working with Nuestra
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurances (80% employer paid)
- Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Voluntary Group Life Insurance
- FSA, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- 401K Retirement Savings Plan with company contribution
- Adoption Assistance
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Commuter Benefits
- Vacation/sick/holiday paid time off
- Education reimbursement/assistance
- Professional development
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Opportunity Communities (OppCo) provides human resources for TND. OppCo and its members, Nuestra Comunidad and TND are equal opportunity organizations. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.